Silkie Rooster taking over "mom" position for chicks.. and a bit thin.

WIChookchick

Songster
9 Years
Aug 25, 2010
Rural Brooklyn, WI
My silkie hen is in a low pen with one chick who is having some leg issues, her other three chicks are all old enough to be with out her, but do hang around.
We have 2 feeders, one large pan for the all to eat and a crook beak EE to eat out of, and a chick feeder w/ chick feed in it, plus what mom/baby have in their pen...
Recently the silkie rooster has been feeding from the chick feeder and acting like "dad/mom" to the chicks, we have another silkie rooster who is this years hatch, he has
2 hens that were raised with him, not related....and some other bantam hens that are about between the two...
I picked him up the other day and he seems thin, but in good feather, color is good, , crop was getting full, (I had just fed that morning) Active...
SOooo anything I can do to help.. we are going to introduce black sunflower seeds, and hard boiled eggs...
ANything will be helpful.
Thanks
Carol

Is he maybe getting chased away from the feeder by more dominant birds, that he eats but not enough? Is there any way that you could add another feeder or so that way he can eat with out being chased away if that's what is happening. You can try giving those food items and see if that helps- we also give broken up pieces of bread once in awhile along with cracked corn.

Hopefully others will have ideas for you too.

Back
Top Bottom