Silkie Rooster w/huge scales on his legs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by og's wifey, Jun 17, 2011.

1. og's wifey

og's wifey New Egg

Jun 4, 2011
    I was given a silkie rooster that has a good bit of his head feathers pecked off ( although they are growing back). He also has huge scales on his legs. My neighbor has chickens and said it looks like a bad case of mites. He also said the mites are up inside the scales and I need to dip the legs in diesel fuel? I am pretty new to backyard chickens and that sounds very extreme.[​IMG]
  2. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    First...Hi and [​IMG]. I know people have other remedies than deisel fuel for scaly leg mites.
    Here's what Storey's Guide says for treating scaly leg mites.

Since leg mites travel slowly from one bird to the next,they may be controlled easily by brushing perches monthly with a mixture of one part kerosene to two parts linseed oil (not motor oil) and at the same time coating each chickens legs with petroleum jelly.(Vaseline)
    Older birds are more likely to be infected than younger birds and are difficult to treat because the mites burrow deeply.Soak the birds legs in warm,soapy water, and gently scrape or rub off the softened dead scales ,then smother the mites by coating the legs with petroleum jelly daily for 2 weeks or until the mites are gone.
    hope this helps [​IMG]
  3. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I speak from experience here...just dip their legs in oil (vegetable, mineral, baby...whatever kind you have). There is no need to use such harsh products. The oil smothers them. It would be safe too to treat the areas they are in with seven dust.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by