Silkie rooster. What is his colour called.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by guinea fowl galore, Aug 1, 2011.

1. guinea fowl galore

guinea fowl galore Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Australia
    This silkie rooster is from a black mum (who has a bit of brown on her bum with age) and a white dad. Im just wondering what his colour is called.

He kept running around everywhere, thats why i'm picking him up in some of the photos.
    the colourful part on his wing has green, white, grey and a few little bits of buff in it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What do you all think? [​IMG]

2. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Wow... that is a HUGE comb!!! [​IMG]

He looks kinda splash to me, but you mentioned some green in his feathers that I don't see clearly. He may not be pure silkie to pick up those colors, he could have had another birds altogether somewhere down the line. [​IMG]

3. guinea fowl galore

May 12, 2009
    Australia
    Quote:he gets that from his dad. [​IMG] his mum has the teeniest comb ever, hardly one at all.
    this is his dad.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    do you have a pic of mom?

5. guinea fowl galore

May 12, 2009
    Australia
    This is mum. I must have gotten mixed up, she has a bit more brown on her then I remember. This photos was taken about 9 months ago and i do think she has lost a fair bit of that brown in her neck, or maybe i'm just loosing my mind.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

she is broody at the moment. her first time being a real mum.

[​IMG]

6. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    I believe mom is a very poor partrigde.. So son might also just be a poor partridge.

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Mom is indeed partridge; son is grey, which means that she is almost certainly not mom. He does not look golden (a mix of silver and gold), which would mean that he had to inherit silver from his mother as well as his father. He could have inherited the penciling from either.

8. guinea fowl galore

May 12, 2009
    Australia
    Quote:she definitely is though. I had three silkies, two white roosters and her. I have hatched three of her eggs, two of the chicks are black and the other is the rooster in question.
    So how did he get that colour if it shouldn't be possible?

9. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    I think everyone missed your mention of buff in places on him.

Folks, standards for Silkies are not the same in other countries as they are here in the states. His birds might very well be representative of what is raised in Australia.

10. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    No, I saw the mention of buff, but in looking at the photos, it is in places that indicate autosomal red, not gold. I suppose it is possible he is split for silver/gold, just does not look it to me. This would be a good place for Henk or Chris09 to weigh in, or the folks at The Coop.

There is also spontaneous mutation; "There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." NOT from CSI Miami.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by