Silkie rooster with extremely bad swollen feet

Becca Townsend

In the Brooder
Mar 15, 2017
Ludington Michigan
I have a younger silkie rooster who, when I went out to check on my chickens, had badly swollen feet. It doesn't seem to be causing him any trouble to walk but I just don't know what to do and I cant figure out what's wrong with him. Here are a few pictures if I could get some help I would be more then gratefull
1f60a.png

3749bd14-a67e-b892-0000-015ad52d1dc5

3749bd14-a67e-b892-0000-015ad52d1ffd

3749bd14-a67e-b892-0000-015ad52d2116

He has no tags on him and we dont have any snakes other then like graderner snakes in our area, it is winter and I fear that it may be something along the lines of his feet just getting too cold and freezing. Here are a few pictures of the bottom of his feet, I don't see any scabes of any sort which leads me to believe that it isn't bumble foot. Also none of the scales on his legs show any indication of scaley leg mites, along with that none of my other chickens have anything like this happening they are just fine. It seems that he also has a toe completely missing and I feel terrible as I never noticed this before because like I said he doesnt show any signs of it hurting him, he doesnt limp, or anything I just happened to notice it today.

He has frostbite on his toes. If you look at his black toenails, the toenails are probably dead, and will fall off eventually. Above frostbite the tissue becomes swollen. He will probably heal eventually but he has lost a toe or two already. If you can bring him inside, I would once a day soak his feet in warm Epsom salts or betadine water. Then dry the feet and legs well before putting him back in his coop. You can apply plain neosporin or similar ointment to the black toes and any black tissue on his feet. I'm sure his feet are very tender. He should keep his feet, and will probably do okay with the lost toes. I would look around at some of the other chickens for any similar problems.

Last edited:
He has frostbite on his toes. If you look at his black toenails, the toenails are probably dead, and will fall off eventually. Above frostbite the tissue becomes swollen. He will probably heal eventually but he has lost a toe or two already. If you can bring him inside, I would once a day soak his feet in warm Epsom salts or betadine water. Then dry the feet and legs well before putting him back in his coop. You can apply plain neosporin or similar ointment to the black toes and any black tissue on his feet. I'm sure his feet are very tender. He should keep his feet, and will probably do okay with the lost toes. I would look around at some of the other chickens for any similar problems.
okay I have him inside and I will start soaking his feet and putting on antibiotics, also none of the other chickens have anything like this

Last edited:
I hope he starts to improve soon. I'm sure his feet are pretty sore. My little bantam mille flour rooster suffered from frost bite on his toes, and lost a couple. It would be good to hear how he is getting along and maybe see a photo later on.

I hope he starts to improve soon. I'm sure his feet are pretty sore. My little bantam mille flour rooster suffered from frost bite on his toes, and lost a couple. It would be good to hear how he is getting along and maybe see a photo later on.
thank you so much for your help, I also decided to make a small incision on the top of the most inflamed food to see if it was pus or blood. It was pus, imagine honey but make it bright yellow, that's what came out. After I drained it (he was super good about it I think that the pressure release felt good) but after that I soaked his feet in epsome salts and gave him a bath, after that I dried him off with a blow dryer and put some triple antibiotic on his feet making sure that I got the incision I made. Thanks for all of the help, it really means a lot.
1f604.png

Poor little fellow. Chickens are very stoic when it comes to pain. You might want to check with your regular vet about possible antibiotics or anti-inflammatory medicines.

Back
Top Bottom