Silkie rooster with very badly swollen feet

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Becca Townsend, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Becca Townsend

Becca Townsend Just Hatched

Mar 15, 2017
    Ludington Michigan
    I have a younger silkie rooster who, when I went out to check on my chickens, had badly swollen feet. It doesn't seem to be causing him any trouble to walk but I just don't know what to do and I cant figure out what's wrong with him. Here are a few pictures if I could get some help I would be more then gratefull [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    That really looks bad - like get him to a vet bad! Could he had been bitten or stung by anything, spiders, snakes? Is he wearing any tags on his legs to ID him ? Maybe they are too tight and need to be cut off.

4. Becca Townsend

Mar 15, 2017
    Ludington Michigan
    He has no tags on him and we don't have any really snakes other then like graderner snakes in our area, it is winter and I fear that it may be something along the lines of his feet just getting too cold and freezing

5. Becca Townsend

Mar 15, 2017
    Ludington Michigan
    As requested here are a few pictures of the bottom of his feet, I don't see any scabes of any sort which leads me to believe that it isn't bumble foot. Also none of the scales on his legs show any indication of scaley leg mites, along with that none of my other chickens have anything like this happening they are just fine. It seems that he also has a toe completely missing and I feel terrible as I never noticed this before because like I said he doesn't show any signs of it hurting him, he doesn't limp, or anything I just happened to notice it today.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  6. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Becca [​IMG] Welcome!

Sorry I have to agree that that does not look good and if you can not get him to a Vet, definitely post of the ER Forum redsoxs gave you a link to.

Best wishes to you and your little guy.

7. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Poor guy, that does look bad. I agree with the other greeters, check in with the ER folks here on BYC or take him to a vet.

Best of luck!

8. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello, and welcome to the forum! I am so glad you decided to join us today, and I hope you will make yourself at home here and enjoy it as much as I have! :frow

~Cuz

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by