Silkie Rooster

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by pauleberly, May 5, 2016.

1. pauleberly

pauleberly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2016
    East TN
    We currently have three silkies. We have no idea how to identify them. WE think this one is a rooster because it actually makes a loud squaky crow some times. I am not sure if thats its normal call or if trying to crow already. This is the silkie in question. (only reason we think its a rooster is because of the noise and it looks a little bit different and larger than the other)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not sure what all type of pictures you would need to help identify. Thanks

2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 November....... my favorite month Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Looks like a cockerel also it looks like a Silkie mix.

3. pauleberly

Mar 21, 2016
    East TN
    We it does have 5 toes and are furry. This is the only one with slicked back hair, the other 2 have afros.

4. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Silkies are difficult to identify as to male female when that small/young. Many times have to wait until one crows or lays an egg. I'm sure breeders who raise them have better odds at identifying their own hatches.
    If your particular chicken is different than the rest, than it is likely that it is as you suspect.
    WISHING YOU BEST and [​IMG]

5. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 November....... my favorite month Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Sorry looking at the photo it doesn't look like a true Silkie. It probably is hatchery quality then.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    He/she doesn't look like a pure silkie, is it a hatchery bird? It has no crest at all. How old is it?

7. pauleberly

Mar 21, 2016
    East TN
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The picture on the bottom is how two of them look (ones we think are female) The top is another picture of the one being questioned. When do they start to crow? I thought it didnt happen till they were 7-9 months old? Every morning when I get off work(7am) it makes a very weird noise and I was wondering if it was trying to crow already. I have noticed he is very headstrong with the other rooster

8. pauleberly

Mar 21, 2016
    East TN
    We are thinking its around 6-8 weeks old. We bought them at a TSC. It does have 5 toes that hair fur on them, and the purple/blue earlobes

9. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    There is your clue. Your roosters are telling you so. [​IMG]

10. pauleberly

Mar 21, 2016
    East TN
    Ok great. They just puff up and flap their wings at each other every now and then. Now at what age would we need to separate them?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by