Silkie roosters & crowing

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Must Be Losing It, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Must Be Losing It

Must Be Losing It Lost It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    At what age do silkie roosters start to crow and is it a true crow? I've heard rumours they don't make much noise compared to other roosters.

2. antiquebuff

antiquebuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Franklin, NC
    My Silkie is 5 months old and he has started crowing finally. It is a very loud deep crow and he doesn't crow as much as my other roos. My bantam cochins crows almost constantly.
    I love my Silkies more that any other of my breeds!

3. Aneesa's Muse

Aneesa's Muse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    My little Silkie mystery ..still not absolutely certain that Tahti is a her or a him... makes a very low, almost guttural, sound. Reminds me of an Owl, mostly. It's about a tenth of what Ben and Obe do ...decibel and quantity wise ......which is just one of the reasons I'm not sure about "her". It seems like she's just trying to keep up with the big boys [​IMG]

Obe (Sizzle) and Tahti (Silkie) were 14 weeks on Monday ...Ben (Faverolle) was 5 months on the 5th ..for age comparison

4. krackerhill

krackerhill Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2008
    Florida
    My black silkie crowed for the first time yesterday. Between the RIR and ducks I wasn't sure I heard correctly but sure enough when I moved closer it was a true crow but not anywhere near as loud as my RIR.

5. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    My Silkie took almost 4 months to start crowing, then for weeks it was a very small crow.. but then it got louder, loud enough to hear outside of the house! (He WAS a house chicken) so out to the coop he went..... where there is a 1 yr old Frizzle roo... I haven't heard him crow since [​IMG]

6. Must Be Losing It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    Too funny!

I keep waiting to find out if my older silkies are roos. They hatched in April, so I figure maybe another month?!

7. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Do you have pics?

8. Must Be Losing It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    I have a picture of two that aren't great. What features do you want photos of and I can take them tonight when I get home?

Julie

9. Must Be Losing It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    Oh, and I just checked my calendar. They hatched the end of March.

10. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    My Dusky rooster (silkie) has a very nice pleasant crow. It's not that loud - it doesn't wake me up at all and my bedroom is closest to the chicken coop - and he's nice enough to NEVER crow except when the sun is good and up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by