Silkie Roosters fighting..

debbruther

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 25, 2013
I have 5 roosters that have been partially free ranging for months. I have never had them fight other then chase each other for a few seconds here and there. In the last couple of weeks I have had to separate them because I came home to blood shed. They are acting crazy... I still put them in the coop at night together but immediately separate them in the morning. Any idea how to stop them? Is this a "time of year" thing? This is my first year of raising silkies. thx

Hello there!

Ive never had silkies. But I had 4 bantom roosters. The neighbor brought them over not even a day old to give them to me. Around 13 weeks they started fighting. Once they got that blood shed it was like a boxing match off and on every day.

As much as I loved them, I had to get rid of the 2 more aggressive ones. Theyre all fighting to be the Alpha male.

If youre able to watch them for a while during the week, you can possibly start to see who starts the most fights. And try to find them another home.

I have two now and it seems to work. They do fight once in a while but its not as bad as it was when their other 2 brothers were with them.

good luck! :)

I may have to do that.. although they have lived together for a year and I have always been told silkie rooster should be able to live in harmony things are pretty rough right now.

I know how stressed out you feel. Its not a fun situation to be in.
When I had all 4 I had to separate each one at night most nights. They are in a shed with their coop and a few other things in there for them. Each had their own space but it was so exhausting at night to separate them all. I felt bad. But since I got rid of those two, the coop has been so much friendlier. Besides the occasional testing roosters do with me.

I hope you figure something out :)

Back
Top Bottom