Silkie Roosters terrorizing hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by NCgirl21, Dec 31, 2012.

1. NCgirl21

NCgirl21 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2012
    Concord, North Carolina
    I have 4 silkies, 2 of which are roosters, and 5 bantams. They've all been raised since they were a few days old and now they are 6.5 months old. One of our hens ("Mama") was the first one to start laying a month ago and she layed every day. The last two weeks she stopped and wouldn't leave the box. We thought she was getting broody even though we take the eggs out immediately. The last few days we started suspecting that maybe it was more than just being broody but that the roosters were picking on her because our and about by herself she acts fine. Tonight I took her out alone to free range for a couple minutes, put her back in the coop and the two roosters attacked and weren't letting go. Very scary moment. Does anyone have any experience with Silkie Roosters ganging up on a hen? How do I get them to stop? Is there a solution? Shouldn't they all be getting along since they've been fine for the last 6.5 months?! It's only happening to this one hen in particular and we aren't sure what to do. We read how wonderful these Roos are for their docile personality but I'm beginning to have my doubts. Please, please help. Any advice and experiences would be most greatly appreciated!
    Also, she is not going through a molt and the roosters are not aggressive towards each other just to this one bantam hen.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    When you have two roosters together, they get very aggresive. They are trying to mate the hen and it does gets ugly. you need to seperate the roosters, or it will get worst.

3. NCgirl21

NCgirl21 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2012
    Concord, North Carolina

Do you think if we got rid of one of the roosters it would get better or would the one rooster still pick on the hen?

4. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    you can but you will have to find which is the most aggresive Rooster. but they are not always that way. they will still mate, but soon will get tired of it. Keeping one in different pen or keep just one. its up to you..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by