Silkie Roosting

KyKyMarie77

Songster
Dec 5, 2020
Hello! I’ve seen in here that a lot of people have had trouble with silkies roosting, but my roo as well as my first girl always went straight to the roost whenever it was bed time. I wonder if having them with other chicken breeds helped with this? I also have 6 1 month old babies and two are silkies. I have a taller block in there that they jump onto all the time as well so I’m thinking if they are trained with other chickens it might teach them how to roost better.
Penny for your thoughts

Possibly.
We had a silkie rooster who would NEVER leave his hens, who were almost all different breeds. He would go to the tallest roost, just to be with his favorite hen.
Our current silkie hen, however, has fell off the roost and hurt herself one too many times- she now sleeps in the nesting box, which I hate, because it ends up being pooped up in the morning.

I believe sometimes they might not want to be alone, so they follow the others to the roosts. Maybe that's the behavior you're observing in your flock(s).

Hello! I’ve seen in here that a lot of people have had trouble with silkies roosting, but my roo as well as my first girl always went straight to the roost whenever it was bed time. I wonder if having them with other chicken breeds helped with this? I also have 6 1 month old babies and two are silkies. I have a taller block in there that they jump onto all the time as well so I’m thinking if they are trained with other chickens it might teach them how to roost better.
Penny for your thoughts
I only have Silkies and all mine roost no problem, no teaching needed. They go up the ramp or can jump up to the roosts. They all enjoy roosting in the fig tree during the day too.
The only issues I've had with Silkies not roosting is when they are broody!! 😄😄.. although I've had some trying to brood on the roosts too!! 😂

Back
Top Bottom