Silkie Roosts

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by riftnreef, Jan 13, 2010.

1. riftnreef

riftnreef Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2009
    Mechanicsburg, Ohio
    OK...I have a few Silkies growing out that will be good and ready for a coop in the spring. The older of the four birds is pretty well full grown and living in a pen in the garage with a BR pullet. I have noticed the Silkie does not roost. I am assuming that is because she can't get any lift from her fuzzy little wings? That being the case, and the fact that my comets DO NOT like her has me building a coop just for the four Silkies. My question in all of this I guess is weather or not to put standard roosts in, or something much closer to the ground? Now that my four comets are comfortably in their new home of an 8x8 garden shed (lot of room for 4 birds) should I maybe try to re-introduce the silkie, or are they doomed to never get along?

2. Glenbogel06

Glenbogel06 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2008
    Berkeley Springs, WV
    My silkies and standards have learned to get along just fine. They may get picked on a little more because they are smaller, but nothing that they can't handle. As for roosts . . . my silkies have always insisted on getting up just as high as the big girls. I have a ladder that they can all go up because the roost is about 5 feet off the ground. I have heard that silkies don't roost very high, and have always given them the choice to roost lower, but they want to go up high.

So, you know your birds best . . . if they seem to like roosting low, make a low roost for them. As for integrating them with the standards . . . I wouldn't give up on that yet. Let them work it out for a while, but just make sure no on is getting too beat up. I bet after a week or so, they will all be fine.

3. riftnreef

Oct 27, 2009
    Mechanicsburg, Ohio
    I don't know...they way they go after her, I'm afraid to leave them alone for more than 30sec for fear my daughters poor "cheese puff" will get pecked to death. It seems more than just normal pecking order with them and her...they go out of their way to attack her...never seen such behavior from hens.

4. snowydiamonds

snowydiamonds Chillin' With My Peeps

I wouldn't leave her to be harrassed, I only have one silkie hen and she does NOT like to roost so she's always got deep clean straw for bedding and I keep her with the younger birds that are growing up, they all cuddle together until the others begin wanting to roost. Her roo goes back and forth between her and roosting. I had the pleasure of (and dismay) hatching all roo's and only the one hen for my silkies LOL

5. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    Most of my silkies dont roost at all, some do but for the most part they huddle. I would make a pen if she is getting picked on and separate the lf from the silkies. I have raised them together but once you have a few its easier to keep the silkies in a coop bythemselves as they dont need all the same stuff nor the same height.

6. bukbugack

bukbugack Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2009
    L.I. New York
    My silkies can't jump more than about 6 inches, and can't fly at all. Still, they like to act like real chickens in some ways, such as roosting with the flock at night. I gave them a ramp to use. They love it. My rather uncoordinated BO appreciates it, too. Notice that extra block of 2x4 and the little step up to the high perch. That's for her, to prevent serious crashes.

[​IMG]

7. riftnreef

Oct 27, 2009
    Mechanicsburg, Ohio
    Thanks all. It never occured to me when my daughter picked up her first Silkie that she would have problems roosting. Hopefully when the three young ones I have now grow up some more they can have their own house....I'll call it the Silkie shack!...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by