Silkie roosts

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by taprock, Sep 23, 2011.

1. taprock

taprock Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a Silkie and a Sizzle who are about 3 months old. I am new to them and bantams in general. I had a separate cage in the big coop for them to go in. I kept it cracked open so they could come and go and get protection from the big birds if they needed it. I was just going to post yesterday wondering what to do for a roost for them. I had heard they needed something special. Last night I went to check on everyone at dusk and my two little ones were on one of the big roosts all the way to the top. [​IMG] I'm so proud of my little ones. My question is should I still do something different for them? I have 4 other bantams but they all stay with the larger birds with no problem.

2. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

It sounds like they figured it out on their own. I'd leave things alone unless you start to see a problem with them being up there on the big roost.

3. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Taprock, They really don't need anything special. They will figure out where they feel comfortable. I've learned that if you provide roosts a varying heights, the birds will use the one they like. It's really pretty easy.......they do have a mind of their own. They are actually quite smart little suckers. Good luck.
    Erik

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by