Silkie roster with extremely inflamed feet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Becca Townsend, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Becca Townsend

Becca Townsend In the Brooder

Mar 15, 2017
    Ludington Michigan
    I have a younger silkie rooster who, when I went out to check on my chickens, had badly swollen feet. It doesnt seem to be causing him any trouble to walk but I just dont know what to do and I cant figure out whats wrong with him. Here are a few pictures if I could get some help I would be more then gratefull [​IMG]
    He has no tags on him and we dont have any snakes other then like graderner snakes in our area, it is winter and I fear that it may be something along the lines of his feet just getting too cold and freezing.
    I dont see any scabes of any sort which leads me to believe that it isnt bumble foot. Also none of the scales on his legs show any indication of scaley leg mites, along with that none of my other chickens have anything like this happening they are just fine. It seems that he also has a toe completely missing and I feel terrible as I never noticed this before because like I said he doest show any signs of it hurting him, he doesnt limp, or anything I just happened to notice it today. I will do my best to get a picture on here but I'm not sure if I'll be able to.

2. Becca Townsend

Mar 15, 2017
    Ludington Michigan
    [​IMG]

3. Becca Townsend

Mar 15, 2017
    Ludington Michigan
    [​IMG]

4. Becca Townsend

Mar 15, 2017
    Ludington Michigan
    [​IMG]

5. Becca Townsend

Mar 15, 2017
    Ludington Michigan
    [​IMG][​IMG]

6. Becca Townsend

Mar 15, 2017
    Ludington Michigan
    Please someone help I've got no clue what's wrong with his feet and I feel terrible, I don't wanna loose this little guy.

7. Louise Waffles

Louise Waffles Chirping

Feb 1, 2017

Hi Becca,
    I had a friend who had a chicken come up with a case of bumblefoot that had no scab. The vet drained a lot of pus out of the foot and treated the bird with oral antibiotics. So it COULD be. And at yhe end of the toe, that looks scabby?

Could this also be severe frostbite? It can get infected and cause toe loss.

I really don't know what this is, and there are so many people here who know so much more than I do. Hopefully someone will chime in.

I would start him on a broad spectrum antibiotic, and soak his feet in epsom salts. Let him hang out with you inside.

Do you have a vet for your chickens?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  8. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Free Ranging

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Can you take him to a vet?

It looks like he may have frostbite. The toe nail will most likely fall off an die - it looks like he already has had some toenails and possibly a toe or two die or fall off prior to this. As @Louise Waffles suggested, give his feet a good soaking in epsom salts, hopefully this will start to reduce the swelling. You can apply some triple antibiotic ointment or vetericyn to the feet after soaking.

Keep him on clean, dry bedding and watch to see that he is eating/drinking well.

If you have vet care that would be best.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/12/frostbit-in-backyard-chickens-causes.html

9. Becca Townsend

Mar 15, 2017
    Ludington Michigan
    Okay thank you very much everyone I will do my best to take care of him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by