Silkie run question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by mandamay28, Mar 1, 2017.

1. mandamay28

mandamay28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2016
    How tall does a silkie run need to be? We are building an elevated coop with the run underneath and also adding an exterior run. After further research I'm thinking we should have built a sing story coop with a run attached bc they don't like using ramps. it MIGHT be possible to take the top part off and make 2 coops... I have to talk to the hubby.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    I do not think silkies would want to be on wire?? They like to dust bath a lot----so I would want my run 6ft to clear my head when I walk in it!

3. mandamay28

Apr 20, 2016
    Oh, they won't be on wire. They will have sand in the run area. I don't think i really NEED to go inside the run but I will have access to it. I will let them free range when I am outside with them. I guess I'm wondering if a 2' high run would be okay for them since they don't fly or climb very high.

4. snow5164

snow5164 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2015
    Canada
    Do yours really not jump and " fly ", my three silkies all get on top of the two foot nesting box, they climb up a ladder in the coop.

I haven't added a run yet as it's cold here, I'm thinking of starting with a raised " deck" putting a solid flooring on it and filling it with pea gravel? Or sand? I can't decide.

I need access to the run because you can bet they will lay an egg out there or get hurt and you'll have to help[​IMG]

Don't you think they can have a smaller run then other chickens ? I'm glad I have a few months to decide what to do

5. mandamay28

Apr 20, 2016
    I do think they can have a smaller coop and run. we are making a 3x5 coop and a 3x5 run with an additional 4x5 run attached. We only have 2 silkies right now. I do plan to get more though.
    Mine do not climb at all. I put a 2x4 down for them to roost on and they act as if they have a hard time getting over it to get to the other side. LOL They pile in a corner to sleep. no climbing at all!

6. snow5164

May 16, 2015
    Canada
    How funny the are!! My paint silkie " flew " out of my brooder and hunkered down on the edge .... it's three feet deep!!! My other two just follow her wherever she goes , the ladder is funny cause at the top we made a 1 foot by 1 foot platform and they all three hunker down up there (2 feet up ), and sleep[​IMG],

7. PD-Riverman

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    You said elevated run with a run underneath-----you must mean elevated coop with a run underneath. So if they have a 2ft high areaand you need to get in it for a reason-----you going to crawl on your stomach???

Let me say this---having raised chickens all my life---I do not want a elevated coop with a run under it----I want a coop where I can get in it and a run I can walk in when I need to. Makes Like and raising chickens simpler.

8. snow5164

May 16, 2015
    Canada
    Our coop is 4x4 and I think the run will be the same , I feel like putting quotes around run because it is so tiny . My real chickens have a 30 foot x 14 foot run!!

9. PD-Riverman

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Make sure that corner is blocked from predators reaching through from the outside. My silkies have always got up to the 3ft high nesting boxes to lay by walking up the ladder board..

10. snow5164

May 16, 2015
    Canada
    Good point , my silkies actually make me nervous , my run will be raised off the ground at least two feet... they are a little helpless, not my favourite breed very high needs [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by