Silkie sex and color

Wow!! Okay i can see the difference then!! Is that typical of that age, that the comb is that noticeable? Do you mean you think my two are both cockerel?

I thought the combs looked kind of flat, but i dont have any other silkies to compare with.. the keratin has come off those top feathers and they are still looking spiky. 😬
Sometimes it's obvious, sometimes it's not that obvious.
Sexing silkies can be a challenge sometimes.
Here's a pullet of mine.
20200520_160704.jpg
Resized_20200529_155847.jpeg
She was younger in the first picture, she is the same age as yours in the second picture.

Sometimes it's obvious, sometimes it's not that obvious.
Sexing silkies can be a challenge sometimes.
Here's a pullet of mine.View attachment 2186076View attachment 2186077She was younger in the first picture, she is the same age as yours in the second picture.
Darn, i think youre right. Im sitting here w my daughter staring at your pics and our chicks, and ours have very spiky mohawks like your boy. Well we do have two very sweet female D'Uccles, so that softens the blow a bit! Funny, i picked the D'Uccles by mistake, we wanted silkies! 😂

Darn, i think youre right. Im sitting here w my daughter staring at your pics and our chicks, and ours have very spiky mohawks like your boy. Well we do have two very sweet female D'Uccles, so that softens the blow a bit! Funny, i picked the D'Uccles by mistake, we wanted silkies! 😂
@MysteryChicken Btw, ill bookmark your pics in case we get silkies again in the future, thank you for taking the time to post them!!

@MysteryChicken Btw, ill bookmark your pics in case we get silkies again in the future, thank you for taking the time to post them!!
A picture won't always help with sexing silkies alot of the time. The quality of the silkie also plays part in sexing them.
They're to young to grow any streamers. Give them some time before you get rid of them? Cause who knows 1 might actually be a pullet with a slightly raised comb.

A picture won't always help with sexing silkies alot of the time. The quality of the silkie also plays part in sexing them.
They're to young to grow any streamers. Give them some time before you get rid of them? Cause who knows 1 might actually be a pullet with a slightly raised comb.
Oh they're pretty sweet, and we have the space, so even if they're roos, we will keep them as long as possible and take the time to find an actual home 🥰 but it would be cool if one end up a pullet!!

It's whatever you choose to do with them. :thumbsup
Its so hot here.. im in Az.. so ill let them enjoy the air conditioning for the summer (i have an indoor house chicken coop!!) :) we would totally keep them if we could, but we will definitely run into fines once they start crowing!

Attachments

• 20200516_110643.jpg
    20200516_110643.jpg
    480.8 KB · Views: 7
Cute setup :) I'd give them some time, I thought they looked a little girlie, it's hard to tell with them though.
Oh i hope youre right! Well summer heat is here through September, theyll be 5 months old come October.. so that will be a good time to wait until to know for sure, and good time weather wise to rehome males. I have a second cage/hutch i can use if things get crowded. If i end up w a female silkie, then ill expand the indoor coop, but i dont want to cut it up if i dont need to.

I am going to DNA sex mine. They are from ideal as well. I have two white, three buff (or maybe partridge based on the black in the wings), and three black. I'll post pics as they age but I am likely going to rehome my roosters by 6 weeks. But we can at least compare baby pics of DNA sexed silkies

Back
Top Bottom