Silkie Sex Change?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by TurtleFeathers, Apr 19, 2009.

1. TurtleFeathers

TurtleFeathers Fear the Turtle!

Jan 9, 2009
    By the Chesapeake Bay
    Hi all -

I have a group of 7 silkies that hatched in mid October last year, so they're just 6 months old. I know that that 3 are cockerels, first, because they crow - they also developed streamers, long neck feathers, small wattles and walnut combs between about 3 and almost 5 months of age.

Of the 4 remaining silkies, 2 have just started to lay eggs, so I know they're pullets. I was pretty sure the other 2 were hens also, because they had no physical male characteristics - until a couple weeks ago, 1 of them started developing teeny tiny wattles. Then today, I noticed that not only have her wattles gotten alittle bigger, but "she" now has a small comb developing. "She" has no streamers, "she" has very short neck feathers, and "she" just doesn't seem to walk/stand as straight and erect as the cockerels do. PLUS, I've seen one of the cockerels attempting to breed with "her" on a couple different occasions.

Any opinions on this? I know silkies are notorious for being hard to sex, but to my inexperienced eye, its especially difficult, so I thought I'd ask the experts!

Thanks so much!

Kathy

2. Featherland

Featherland Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    Missouri
    Pictures would help. [​IMG]

3. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    It is most likely that it is a girl at that age anyway. The fact that she grew tiny wattles and a small comb just means that she is close to begin laying more than likley. Some females do have a bumb or a small comb so do not let that panic you. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by