Silkie-sex linking?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by MonkeyZero, Oct 18, 2009.

1. MonkeyZero

MonkeyZero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Hey
    Is there any type of roo that we can breed with a white silkie hen to make sex links?
    [​IMG]

2. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

Is there any type of roo that we can breed with a white silkie hen to make sex links?

Not usually.​

3. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    look another sex linked question.

Tim

4. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Red roosters on white hens makes reddish hens and whitish roosters. It kind of works with Seramas so why not Silkies?

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Becasue silkies are recessive white, meaning that under the white OFF switch you have no idea what colour genes they are carrying. Silver/gold can create a sex/link, not red/white.

6. Princess Amri

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Quote:Oh. Silkies are a different kind of chicken. I should have remembered that!

7. Krys109uk

Oh. Silkies are a different kind of chicken. I should have remembered that!

Rather than being due to its being a different breed it is because recessive white is a different set of genes than the genetically silver birds of which you were thinking.​

8. Princess Amri

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Quote:Rather than being due to its being a different breed it is because recessive white is a different set of genes than the genetically silver birds of which you were thinking.

Right. A different kind of chicken!

9. Krys109uk

A different kind of chicken!

Maybe we're talking at cross purposes. Genetically, there are quite a few ways of making white birds. All of these ways of making white birds could be used on any domestic chicken. In most cases recessive white is used to make white chickens & a sex link cannot be made from that. In other cases, silver columbian & dominant white have been used to make the chicken white when these genes are used a gold silver sex link can be made.​

10. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I think that unless you KNOW a breed with pure white chickens is silver plus dominant white, you should probably assume that it is recessive white.

Recessive white is not unique to silkies; it is common in many breeds. Now if you have a bird that is partly white and partly black (such as birchen), you can usually assume that the "white" is the result of the silver gene.

grey and partridge are silver & gold variations of what is otherwise the same gene set. A grey hen bred to partridge, red or buff cock would give some sort of sex-linked offspring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by