Silkie sex question (updated w/pics)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by serendipityfarm, May 18, 2010.

1. serendipityfarm

serendipityfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2010
    Connecticut
    So I bought these 2 Silkies because I felt bad for them. They were in the "pit" with all the de-beaked layer hens at the local "Chick day" a while back. The guy said they were hens and about 7 months old so should be laying soon. Is that correct? I know they are slow to mature. Anyway, they are pretty skitish, but slowly coming around. And just a couple days ago when I reached in the little partridge one "squatted". I'm a relative newbie to this, so what I'm wondering is... Do roosters squat? Or is that a pretty good indication she is indeed a she? Jury's still out on the white one. I read somewhere that with Silkies you just have to wait til they either lay an egg or crow, so I guess time will tell. Just curious about the squatting.
    Thanks!

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Pictures? [​IMG]

Squatting is a very good sign that laying should begin in the next couple weeks. Make sure you have oyster shell out for them, they will start snacking on it before they lay.

3. serendipityfarm

serendipityfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2010
    Connecticut
    YAY! She's definitely a girl! [​IMG]
    Well, at least one of them is, anyway. I put my money on the partridge, since she's the squatter. And yes, I have given them oyster shells. I had them for my other girls [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know nothing about Silkies, so I have no idea of their quality (they are pets here), but here they are.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by