1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

silkie sex

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by crdavis09, Mar 5, 2015.

1. crdavis09

crdavis09 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2015
    Not sure but I started a new thread being how this is a different bird. I got this guy/girl yesterday the lady said she didn't know how old or the sex of it.[​IMG][​IMG]

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I am going to guess 8 weeks old but it is just a guess. Silkies are notoriously difficult to sex- I am going to guess a cockerel, but I have been fooled by silkies before so I will say he/she is still just a bit too young to know for sure. The crest is very tall but I don't see very obvious streamers yet. And the attitude/stance is a bit pullet-like but it could be due to the age.

Beautiful chicken!

3. crdavis09

Mar 3, 2015
    Ok. Thanks.

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm thinking cockerel for now.

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm leaning towards cockerel, too, but Silkies are notoriously difficult to sex until they're older.

1 person likes this.
  6. crdavis09

Mar 3, 2015
    Thanks. I do have some babies I decided to put with him/her and it is mothering or fathering them. I figured it would be mean to them but it is actually doing well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by