Silkie Sexers Needed... Place your bets!!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jktrahan, Jan 26, 2011.

1. jktrahan

jktrahan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    Sweet Lake
    Ok guys and gals, i can really use your expertise with these young silkies that range roughly 1.5 months old to 4.5 months old.

#1, white: 1.5 months old

[​IMG]

#2, grey: 1.5 months old

[​IMG]

#3, partridge: 2.5 months old

[​IMG]

Also #3, is this the start of a Spir?

[​IMG]

#4, blue: 2.5 months

[​IMG]

#5 white, 4.5 months:

[​IMG]

#6 white, 4.5 months, This one also has a bump like the Partridge that i thought might me the start of a Spir

[​IMG]

You can also see bigger picks here:
    http://themtrahans.com/wordpress/?p=645

Thanks for all your help

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Most are much too young to tell. I believe that numbers 3, 4, 5 & 6 are likely males, but they are really too young to be absolutely certain.

And yes, those look like spur bumps, but that is no gendser indicator. All birds have them, regardless of gender, but on males they will develop into a spur--but not for many months.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  3. jktrahan

Jan 10, 2011
    Sweet Lake
    Thanks,

4. kentuckysilkies

kentuckysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2007
    Winchester Kentucky
    I can't tell very much from your pictures. #2 is definitely a pullet. You can sex Grays by color just like Partridge.

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

.....feeling much better after seeing that the experts cannot tell - I sure couldn't! [​IMG]

I do think that #2 is a pullet, though.

6. Chicken0Boy

Chicken0Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

#2 is a pullet just like everyone else is saying [​IMG] , but all they other look like they have a blown back look to their poof. I was told that means they are a roo... hens have a more round look to the poof. I would post some pics when they are all 6 months+.

7. jktrahan

Jan 10, 2011
    Sweet Lake
    Dang it. That would be my luck, to end up with all males. I was hoping at least one of the white ones would be male and one would be female. Guess I'll just have to wait and see who lays and who crows. ha. thanks again for the guesses. [​IMG]

8. tallyho

tallyho Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    I'm not an expert but having just gone through this with 4 silkies I feel your pain. I pretty much knew that one was a little roo and he did end up crowing at 18 weeks. What set him apart from the others was:
    1) his stance - the girls always seemed to have that downward slope look. He was often upright, looking around with his neck stretched out
    2) his legs were longer and he had 2x the foot feathers the girls had. Males have thicker legs but that's hard to tell with feathered legs.
    3) he had a boy face. Can't explain, but the girls just 'look' feminine. Sweet, almost. He had a devilish glint in his eye.
    4) he had a very wide comb. It was not vertically developed until later, but it was horizontally wider than the girls' comb area.
    5) he hard feathers in his tail. The girls really didn't.
    6) he was bigger than the girls from the start.
    Maybe I imagined all of the above but I was ultimately right. Every once in a while one of the girls made me wonder but with that boy I just knew he was a male.

Hope this helps. I have 3 more I'm wondering about...I'm thinking my 3 are boys, darn.

Oh and that grayish one...it's not cuckoo? Sure looks barred to me.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  9. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Rooster
    Hen
    Hen
    Rooster
    Rooster
    Hen

Some shots of the combs or profile might help, though I'm pretty sure you've got a lot of roos [​IMG]
    Yes it is the beginning of a spur. Hens can have them too [​IMG]

10. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:That depends on quality. Hatchery quality females with small crests can have that blown-back look or a tiny, pill-box hat type of crest. For these birds, though, I agree with your assessment.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by