SILKIE sexing experts please!!!!! Pictures!!!!!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by SilkieCRZYness, Dec 16, 2009.

1. SilkieCRZYness

SilkieCRZYness Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Florida
    This is my blue, 3 almost 4 month old silkie who all along I have thought was boy until lately I've been re-thinking. I know you have those genius silkie experts that get on here and say "if it lays an egg it's a girl, crows it's a boy" and "you can't tell at this age, but I'd beg to differ on most especially SQ silkies. Maybe some of yall can just give me some educated guesses on what you think "it" is. Thanks

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    Pullet I think. I'm no expert though.

3. SilkieCRZYness

Jun 9, 2008
    Florida
    Thanks Emzyyy! I hope your right, either way "it's" a keeper. Holding off on the name until I can tell for sure. This one was always first to the food bowl and likes to spar an awful lot, also likes seems more energentic and has that cockeral squeek in it's voice when I pick it up compared to others, but fromthe looks, seems to be a pullet thus far to me. Although looks can be decieving in silkies I have found that's why I put it up on byc to get some other opinions.

4. wjallen05

wjallen05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    I don't know but s/he sure is gorgeous!! If I had to guess it'd say boy, but only saying that because I had a slow-maturing cockerel who I was so sure was a pullet until one day at about 5 months old suddenly had a huge comb and shortly after starting crowing. I don't think my girls had combs quiet so large at that age, but they're all different. Time will tell! If it is a rooster, it won't be such a bad thing as he'll be one good looking boy!

5. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    pullet [​IMG]

6. babymakes6

babymakes6 Gifted

Feb 24, 2009
    far west Ohio
    I think it looks like a pullet, too. Either way, it is beautiful!

7. pamperedpoultry

pamperedpoultry CHICKENFIED

You got yourself a pullet!! congrats!!

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Too young to tell for absolute certain, but right now looks pulletish.

9. SilkieCRZYness

Jun 9, 2008
    Florida
    This is my other girl, the blue silkies best friend who i am 99.9% sure is a pullet, same age. What ya think:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. SilkieCRZYness

Jun 9, 2008
    Florida
    Thank you all for the replies, Sonoran Silkies you always seem to be right on when it comes to genetics and answering my ?'s so I hope your right, thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by