1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkie Sexing Game! Guess AWAY!!!!! :D ~ VERY PHOTO HEAVY!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by shadewolfo10, Jun 7, 2011.

1. shadewolfo10

shadewolfo10 Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2011
    Hi! I have 4 silkies that are all about 2 months old! And guesses are appreciated! It's all for fun and I know it's probably a little early!
    After I figure out, I will update so we can see what those genders look like at this age to help other people with silkies!

Have fun guessing!! Hoping for mostly pullets and maybe a quiet roo! [​IMG] [Also, I am kind of new, so can you tell me if I am posting picture properly?]

This first silkie is named Owl. S/he is very timid, and hates to be picked up. S/he has recently started fighting with Astrid, and it
    is HER/HIM starting the fight! Astrid will walk by, and Owl will peck her/his bum or head and then they start jumping at eachother! As a baby,
    s/he was also very shy. I am guessing pullet because of the shape of her poof, but roo because of the fighting and size of his comb compared
    to others! Once again, s/he is named Owl.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And Baby Shot!
    [​IMG]

This next silkie is named Rain. S/he is kind of a loner, doesn't really hang out with the rest of the flock except when dozing and usually stares at
    doves and the such when they are close by. S/he hasn't fought with any of the other silkies so far. S/he is always more curious about the treats I
    give to them, and s/he is also a little shy. I think that he is a roo because of the position of her poof, how she reacts to "danger", but maybe pullet
    because of comb and otherwise personality. Once again, s/he is named Rain.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Baby Shots!! [The last one was by mistake!]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This silkie is named Peeper The Third. S/he acts kind of slow... or dumb I guess. S/he isn't afraid of anything and always eats whatever treats I have in
    my hand right away! Most of the other chicks are afraid of the treats, but s/he tucks right in to whatever I am serving! [​IMG] I am guessing that she is a
    pullet because of personality and comb, but roo because of the crest. Once again, this is Peeper The Third.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Peeper on the Left and Astrid on the Right.
    [​IMG]

Lastly, this silkie is named Astrid. S/he isn't very shy and she is the smallest out of them all. I think she may be lacking some vitamins or
    something because it seems as if her feathers have some problems [if any one has any idea why her feathers are like this I would like knowing! [​IMG]
    I think he is a roo because of the fighting with Owl and the comb and crest, but I think a pullet because she is so much smaller. Once again, s/he is named Astrid.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  2. shadewolfo10

May 31, 2011
    I have these pictures uploaded to a flickr account, but if you guys cant see em [i can only see the link..] I will upload them with photobucket!

EDITED: YAY! I uploaded the pics to BYC and now I can see them!!

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  3. kentuckysilkies

kentuckysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2007
    Winchester Kentucky
    OK just for fun, Rain and Astrid are roosters, the other two are pullets. I am confident that Owl is a pullet.

4. shadewolfo10

May 31, 2011
    Kay! What makes you think that about Rain and Astrid? [​IMG] The comb? Or Poof? [I like knowing so I can apply to other peoples chicks, or if I have more silkies in the future! [​IMG] ]

5. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    im like 100% owl is a pullet the poofyness of the head is just feminine lol.

6. shadewolfo10

May 31, 2011
    If Owl is a pullet, then is she just being mean to Astrid for the fun of it? Because Astrid is a runt? [​IMG]

7. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    Quote:ive got quite a few agressive hens i mean they will pull the skin right off of you. even as pullets and weeks old they were like that

8. SilkieMomma

SilkieMomma Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2010
    Just a guess.... all are pullets except peeper. Enjoy! I love silkies!

9. shadewolfo10

May 31, 2011
    Yay! I would really love for them to all be pullets though! Or have Rain be a quiet roo, then I could perhaps get a splash silkie! Thanks for all the comments! I can't wait for them to lay or crow! When did your silkies start? [​IMG]

10. TeriyakiChicken

TeriyakiChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Western Australia
    i think peepers and astrid are roos

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by