SILKIE SEXING QUESTION

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Lhynes1478, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Lhynes1478

Lhynes1478 Chirping

Sep 25, 2017
    I've heard you can sex PARTRIDGE (only) by looking at their wing feathers. Females have a barred pattern and males are just red or brown coloring. IS THIS TRUE?

I can post pictures if needed. Thanks!

Brahma Chicken5000 likes this.
  2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Free Ranging

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Only thing I do know is ..................... Sexing silkies is difficult. Usually need to wait until first egg, or first crow. I only had White Silkies in the past.
    WISHING YOU BEST...... :thumbsup

3. Brahma Chicken5000

Brahma Chicken5000 Araucana Addict

Sep 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    If partridge silkies are able to be sexed like that that would be great.

Lhynes1478 likes this.
  4. Crazy for Chickens!

Crazy for Chickens! Crowing

Jun 9, 2017
    N.W. Missouri
    Ive heard that you can do it that way, but haven't ever tried it. How old are yours? Silkies are harder to tell, but I don't believe you have to wait for a crow or an egg. I do believe you can't sex them as young as other chicks. But it all depends on the silkie. I recommend waiting until eight plus weeks, then post pictures.

5. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

Hi, welcome to BYC!

I don't know that... but Silkies aren't that hard to sex in my experience, once you become familiar with the birds. NO WAY do you have to wait until it crows or lays an egg. (and some hens do crow) While I may not be able to sex them by looks before to early, by the time they reach 14 weeks is usually VERY obvious.

How old is your partridge? To early and their adult colors won't be coming in yet. :pop

6. Lhynes1478

Lhynes1478 Chirping

Sep 25, 2017
    thank you! she/he is about 10wks old right now. Very barred on feathers. I talked to someone who breeds partridges and she said, " Ok, how it works is partridge birds have penciling patterning genes. When the males begin to mature the testosterone interferes with those patterning genes causing a more splotchy pattern instead of penciling. Since it’s testosterone that does it, young chicks will all look the same and it’s as they begin to mature that you can tell male from female." and sent me pictures of wings. Were still on the fence with my silkie though because its still young.

7. Lhynes1478

Lhynes1478 Chirping

Sep 25, 2017
    I agree. I've caught the two i thought were roosters, by the hair on their heads laying back all crazy, sparring with eachother non-stop. lol. theyre also the biggest. pretty sure theyll be roosters.

8. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

I have 4 in the brooder right now... some who were identified as male by 3 days old, according to their behavior. They're not quite 3 weeks yet, but we can't wait to see the truth! :pop

Raising chickens is fun. And I just love to play the breed/gender game. Post pics, let's see. :D :p

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Silkies are extremely difficult to sex before 4-5 mos. of age and some not till they crow or lay. They are full of surprises

10. Crazy for Chickens!

Crazy for Chickens! Crowing

Jun 9, 2017
    N.W. Missouri
    You can't accurately sex chicks by behavior. I do hope you didn't get rid of them just because they acted rooish. They could be pullets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: