Silkie sexing

Traceaskew

In the Brooder
Nov 30, 2015
Maryland
Hello, I posted a couple of times in the Silkie sexing thread but no one replies. I have 3 silkies that are 13 weeks old. Can anyone give me an idea on sex?

Last edited:
So far, from what I can see, they all look very girlie (nice round crests). However, good breeder/show quality birds have big, round crests (even the cockerels). Can you pull their crests back and give us a shot of each birds comb?

From what I can see, they look like pullets to me as well.

Silkie males are tall, lanky, and can have more mowhawk type crest, and will have a large walnut comb.

Females are squatty, rounded, and have a pompom crest with very little comb.

But I defer to the other poster regarding show quality crests.

LofMc

Thank you both :) they are from a very good show quality breeder. I will get more pics tomorrow. The very top pic had me thinking it might be male. His head feathers kind of go back like I read that male crests do and it's been chest bumping with my Easter egger cockerel (who was supposed to be a pullet but just started crowing today!) so I thought it might be a cockerel also. Do females ever challenge a young rooster?

Here a couple more pics of the paint Silkie I thought might be male. All 3 of their combs look like this. Sorry for the crappy pic, it wouldn't stay still!

Here a couple more pics of the paint Silkie I thought might be male. All 3 of their combs look like this. Sorry for the crappy pic, it wouldn't stay still!

Seeing these new pictures, the comb does look pretty boyish. It also looks like there are streamers popping off the back of its crest
hmm.png

Here are a couple of pics of one of my roos to give you an idea of how girlie they can look:
He was a couple of months old in the first two pictures.

I thought he was a girl.

This was when he was around four years old. I couldn't find any in between pictures, sorry.

Here are a few of mine for those of you who like to play this game
smile.png
These are almost 12 weeks old. I think I have 2 boys and 1 girl. I'm interested to see if y'alls guesses match mine.

Back
Top Bottom