1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkie Sexing

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by tw8man, May 29, 2016.

1. tw8man

tw8man Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2016
    Oklahoma
    I have been trying to get help on sexing my silkies, but I have had no luck... Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, please excuse my crazy friends taking pictures with my chickens![​IMG]

Tina
    [​IMG]

Bella
    [​IMG]

Sandy (splash) and Pete (lavender)
    [​IMG]

Sandy (splash on left), Pete (lavender), Bella (splash in middle), and Danny (blue)
    [​IMG]
    Thanks!

2. JaeG

JaeG Overrun With Chickens

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    I can be of no help but just wanted to say who wouldn't want their picture taken with those gorgeous birds of yours?! They are so pretty.

How old are they? That's important info when trying to sex young ones. I know silkies can be tricky.

3. tw8man

tw8man Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2016
    Oklahoma
    Thank you so much! They are our new addition to our silkie breeding project, but I still don't know how to sex them[​IMG] They are around 13 weeks old.

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Silkies are so difficult to sex, so I would recommend reposting pics in another month or so.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    very hard to sex silkies before 4-5 mos. of age and sometimes not till they crow or lay

6. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Not good with Silkies but I've read, the head feathering (round = pullets, tall = cockerels) & the comb development. Need pictures of their combs too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by