Silkie sexing

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by danh85, Jul 24, 2016.

1. danh85

danh85 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2016
    Hi. My silkie is about 6 months old now and I had always assumed it was a pullet (especially since I got two of them at the time and the other one made itself known it was a cokerel at 12 weeks). But this morning it let out about a half crow. It's waddles have seemed to double in size in the last 2 weeks. It has always kept to itself and left my other hens alone. So I'm wondering if I have yet another rooster on my hands?

[​IMG]

2. danh85

Mar 31, 2016
    Here is a full body pic

[​IMG]

3. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    That's a rooster without a doubt.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Cockerel - his legs don't look to be feathered, and not black, wrong comb etc. Is he hatchery stock or mixed breed?

5. danh85

Mar 31, 2016
    Mixed I think. I picked them up at a chicken swap when they were about 4 weeks old. The guy thought this one was a pullet and wasn't sure about the other that definitely turned out to be a rooster. This one literally had a very small comb and waddles till about 2 weeks ago. Great

6. yeye5

yeye5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2016
    North East Florida
    He's very handsome!
    Does your other roo look to be the same mix?

7. danh85

Mar 31, 2016
    He's a little wet right now because it raining so imagine fluffier and the other is from a few weeks ago not very clear though

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. yeye5

Jun 11, 2016
    North East Florida
    I'm very curious--even though I know there is no way of knowing this--what breed/s he's mixed with.
    I haven't ever seen this kind of "mask" on the face except in my one gamecock. Of course I'm still learning and really just beginning my study of genetics in chickens.
    I wonder if someone who know more-- or has a better ability to make an educated guess-- might come along and add to this puzzle?

9. danh85

Mar 31, 2016
    Yeah it would be interesting to know now all I know is the guy I bought them from breeds show silkies and sells the ones that he doesn't think would make it. They were 5 bucks each and looked cool that's why I bought them. I can ask him in a few weeks if he's at the chicken swap again

10. yeye5

Jun 11, 2016
    North East Florida
    Well I have to say you got quite a good deal :)
    You said when you bought "them". Did you get other chickens that day?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by