Silkie Sexing!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by givengrove, Jul 1, 2017.

1. givengrove

givengrove Chirping

Mar 15, 2017
    Missouri
    Oh boy I got quite a few silkies a while ago! Sadly, now I'm down to 7 but that's besides the point... I need help sexing them :) I hope some of you could help me because for the life of me I can't tell ANY differences except some have blue cheeks and one has a weird pea comb-looking comb... Images:
    CHERRY
    IMG_4257.jpg IMG_4259.JPG
    PIP
    IMG_4262 (1).JPG IMG_4262.jpg
    LICORICE
    IMG_4277 (1).JPG IMG_4277.jpg
    DWARF
    IMG_4284.jpg IMG_4289.jpg
    TOFFEE (... I think...)
    IMG_4316.jpg
    FIG (... I think...)
    IMG_4327 (1).jpg IMG_4328.jpg

OOPS I accidently added these other files below! Just ignore please

Attached Files:

2. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Crossing the Road

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    I'm no expert with Silkies, they are harder to sex but going by what I read, not sure how good the info is, pullets have "round, puffy" head dress while the cockerels are "spiked". IF that's all true, yours all look to be pullets but I'm no expert.

3. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Crowing

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    To me, Dwarf appears to be a roo and Pip is likely a roo as well.

It is hard to see the combs on the others, and full body profile would be helpful.

Generally speaking, and Silkie are VERY hard to sex, females are squattier, rounder in build, and have pom pom crests with little comb and wattles even as adult hens.

Male Silkies are taller, lankier, and have more mohawk type crests. They will have noticeable combs and wattles with sometimes even a red tint to them (although others are pure black).

What I can tell from those photos at this time.
    LofMc

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I like to see photos of front facing - with crest held or pulled back to expose full comb.
    Males usually have fuller, bigger - gosh awful looking combs. while females tend to have narrow combs.

givengrove and ChickNanny13 like this.
  5. givengrove

givengrove Chirping

Mar 15, 2017
    Missouri
    FIG:
    IMG_4442.JPG
    CHERRY
    IMG_4444.JPG
    LICORICE
    IMG_4445.JPG
    PIP
    IMG_4446.JPG
    * I couldn't find the other picture I took of CreamPuff (the other white silkie) but I feel that they're a male
    TOFFEE
    IMG_4448.JPG

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: