Silkie Sexing

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Creteloc, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Creteloc

Creteloc Songster

Sep 29, 2017
    Northern Utah
    I'm not posting pictures because the little guys are only a week old. However, I had a question. When picking out the silkies, the IFA 'chicken guru' held them on their backs and watched for their legs to relax. She said a female will relax and a male won't. She put back the fighters and kept the relaxers.

She also said it's not 100% accurate. I'm just curious if anyone's heard this and how accurate you suppose that is.

drumstick diva likes this.
  2. Wolfefarmyard

Wolfefarmyard Songster

Aug 18, 2017
    Gansevoort, NY
    I've heard of this before but I have also heard that it's not reliable and is just a farmers tale to do it this way.

3. Crazy for Chickens!

Crazy for Chickens! Free Ranging

Jun 9, 2017
    NW Missouri
    It's not accurate at all.
    Please wait until 12 weeks, then post picsof the body, crest, and comb with the crest pulled back.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nope - where do they get these ideas :lau:gig

Silkies are usually aren't old enough to sex before 4-5 mos. of age, and sometimes not till they crow or lay eggs. Sometimes you get an earlier glimpse if one has a particularly large comb etc.

5. Creteloc

Creteloc Songster

Sep 29, 2017
    Northern Utah
    I kinda figured but wanted to ask. They are the absolute SWEETEST chicks I've owned. They chirp to be held! They actually stand at their 'window' and stare at us until we pick them up and then they sleep on our chests. Oooh I just want to hold them all the time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: