1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkie sexing

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by txchickie, Oct 20, 2009.

1. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know this is a little silly, but I am hoping and praying for a roo! [​IMG] There are already visible wattles (he is 8 weeks old) and the comb is getting larger by the day.

Also, would he/she be considered blue or splash? I'm not familiar at all with that.

2. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    My first impression was a roo...but with Silkies it is so hard. I only thought roo immediately because he/she looks exactly like my white Silkie roo Jess looked at that age....the comb size and the tuft on the head. My Silkies that have turned out to be pullets always have a more bushy head tuft and the boys had the swept back look.

Beautiful chicken no matter what [​IMG] I'm jealous you have that color!! I am looking for a pullet like that right now....

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Looks like a Splash Cockerel.

4. sarjaysar

sarjaysar cosmic chicken

Jun 12, 2009
    Guernsey
    Well pom pom is angling backwards, if its comb is growing already then I would go for a Roo. But its pose is just like my hens. Very handsome blue splash

5. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    Thank you all! [​IMG]

I hope he is a he, if not my Mom ordered 4 blue silkies and I took him home thinking he looked the most "roo-ish". SURELY there was no way she got 4 pullets out of a straight run. So if he isn't a he, I'll take him back to my mom and exchange it for one that is. [​IMG]

6. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Agree on Cockerel.

7. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Yep, thats a boy, [​IMG] Looks like a darker splash.

8. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Roo

9. SilkieTime

SilkieTime Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Joelton Tn.
    So cute. His eyes are saying " What do you want? Don't come any closer." Just a doll.

10. sarjaysar

sarjaysar cosmic chicken

Jun 12, 2009
    Guernsey
    looking at the stance again in the second photo i'm definitely with the Roo vibe!! No way my hens posed like that!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by