Silkie Sexing!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BooeyBird, Aug 24, 2013.

1. BooeyBird

BooeyBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2012
    Missouri
    This started crowing yesterday at around six to seven weeks... Sounds like a frog in his throat but think it is a crow, i will see if he does it again.. Roo or hen? Is Miss Jemima a Mr.?[​IMG]
    the big bump on the beak is jemima's comb.

2. Iuvmychix

Iuvmychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes I am pretty sure he is a roo but, I can’t see his face very well.You can check if he has streamers coming out of the back of his crest he is a rooster.The streamers are the very thin like feathers that you can see sticking up on the silkie below.Hope I helped :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  3. Tricoglossus

Tricoglossus Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    You might not see streamers yet because he is young. But only roosters will crow at that age.

4. Iuvmychix

That’s true :)

5. BooeyBird

May 26, 2012
    Missouri
    Ok, he crowed again today but only once, again sounded like hehad a frog in his throat.. But sounds like a crow to me. I will try and get more pics. Do you have any idea what coloration he is? Please show a picture of a roo his age if you ca, thank you! :)

6. Iuvmychix

Sorry I can’t find a pic of a six week old silkie roo since I don’t have any silkies myself I have to find pics of google :) I think he is the typical “black” color but you will know better since I just see him off a photo and you see him in person!

7. BooeyBird

May 26, 2012
    Missouri
    well he has white in him all over his chest too.

8. BooeyBird

May 26, 2012
    Missouri
    do you guys have any pictures of blue and grey silkies? I think those may be his type

9. BooeyBird

May 26, 2012
    Missouri
    he has been crowing everymorning, will try to get videos and pics!

10. Iuvmychix

Ok thnx! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by