1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkie sexing

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by tlcarnes2176, Sep 17, 2013.

1. tlcarnes2176

tlcarnes2176 Chillin' With My Peeps

I bought two silkies about 7 weeks ago. I know it is hard to determine the sex of silkies, but I thought maybe someone could give me some idea to what I may have to look forward to. I am hoping for one of each. Thanks in advance.
    [​IMG]
    Frenchie left, puffy right
    [​IMG]
    Puffy

[​IMG]
    puffy

[​IMG]
    Frenchie

[​IMG]
    Frenchie

2. joey2456

joey2456 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2013
    They look too young to tell I'm sorry

1 person likes this.
  3. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

x2 Try posting them when they are a few weeks older.

1 person likes this.
  4. tlcarnes2176

Thanks

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Its a little too young to tell. But, when they get older, here are some things to look for:

Silkie females will have puffier, rounder crests. Their combs will be smaller, and they will have a squat stance. Males, though, often have "streamers", which are longer, thin feathers projecting from their crests. Males will also develop their combs quicker, and will be taller and often larger than the females.

[​IMG] This Silkie is a rooster. See how large the comb is? [​IMG] This is a female. The comb and wattles are smaller, and she has a more feminine head

[​IMG]
    This Silkie rooster exhibits "streamers" Streamers are the thin, longer feathers on the back of the crest. Females do not usually have them.

[​IMG] . [​IMG]
    This shows the puffy crest and squat stance of a female A rooster stands taller and has a smaller crest.

Hope this helps! Post some more photos in a few weeks.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    x3

7. tlcarnes2176

Thanks, i will post more in a few weeks.

8. OBXChic

OBXChic New Egg

Sep 17, 2013
    here is one for you..female or male...I am so confused..this is my only silkie..I only have 4 chickens total...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't see anything that would suggest your silkie being a rooster, so I would say girl for now.

10. OBXChic

OBXChic New Egg

Sep 17, 2013
    oh thank god...I was hoping she was a she...thank you for your help...I have been struggling trying to figure it out..
    what do you know about the clown behind her this crazy dude...
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by