Silkie Sexing

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by simplyseren, Aug 7, 2014.

1. simplyseren

simplyseren Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2013
    NWPA
    Hi there, I have spent hours online last night trying to figure this out, and came up with nothing. I have three Silkies that I can not figure out if they are Hens or Roos. They are all about 4 months old. If anyone could tell me what they think they are that would be fantastic. My boyfriend said that the caught one of them trying to crow that last two mornings, and i heard it this morning but did not know which one it is. He think it is Ozzy ( the buff with black cap)
    . [​IMG]this is Onyx

[​IMG]Onyx

[​IMG]Ozzy (has the black cap) and Tweety

[​IMG]side view of Tweety

[​IMG] front view of Ozzy

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    I see all pullets. Tweety might be a he though.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It is way too young to accurately sex Silkies; sometimes you don't know until they crow or lay. However, Tweety and Onyx are looking rooster-ish to me right now.

4. simplyseren

simplyseren Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2013
    NWPA
    Thank you both. As I went out with my BF to let them out this morning, after he walked in the coop and opened the dog door for them, Tweety was crowing. not Ozzy. I stood there and watched them , and it sure was Tweety giving his all trying to crow. I have a 1 yr old Silkie Roo (Fuzzy),, and right after he crowns Tweety tries. no comparison, but its funny to listen too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by