Silkie Show Prospect? Opinions

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by minihorse927, Feb 20, 2011.

1. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    I am going to try my hand at showing silkies this year. This is a chick I hatched out on December 22 or 23. These pictures were taken today of this chick. I basically want to know what others opinions are on this one being a good show prospect in the near future?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    sorry forgot to rotate that one right side up.
    [​IMG]

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Well, it has potential; keep watch over the next several months to see how it develops. Should be old enough to show next fall.

3. ultasol

ultasol Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    SE Washington
    In the first picture it looks like the L front has a crooked toe?

It's too young to show now, it's got the gangly teenage silkie look going on, they take time to mature.

4. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:^This.

5. ultasol

ultasol Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    SE Washington
    I mean R front toe.

6. minihorse927

Nov 3, 2010
    I went and checked that crooked looking toe is not crooked, just from when I set him down on top of the incubator for the picture. I know that one pic is looks like it is bad. I know it will be fall before I plan on doing anything cause this chick definitely is in the ugly teenage stage, better than some of my others who are a little younger and almost bald on half their body. I just basically was looking for is this a good prospect if it continues to grow and fluff out the way it has so far.
    I have some others who will be old enough that I am going to try showing sometime in March/April if I can find the shows around here. That will give me some experience with showing these guys before my "better" quality chicks will be old enough.

7. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Agree with Sonoran. Looks like she has potential but just needs more time. You should know by 4-5 months.

Edited to add: My experience is that the judges really don't look at toe placement. I had a black pullet win RV in a large show yesterday that didn't have great "toe separation" as some folks call it. She also doesn't have a humongous crest that blocks her vision. Just a really nice, typey well balanced pullet.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  8. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I was going to say something like that but wasn't sure if that was just my interpretation or not. Glad is was noticed by someone else, too. I have a nice male who's only huge flaw, IMO, is his 4th and 5th toe-spacing, which are interwebbed. He still managed to pull out an RV at a so-so sized show with no referance to his toes on his cage-card. Maybe RV is reserved for birds with bad toes? [​IMG]

Good to hear that this chick was just standing funny, though. A few more months to grow out should do him good.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Breeders pay far more attention to toes than most judges. For the most part, all a judge does is count the toes to make sure there are the right number. Maybe if two birds were otherwise completely equal would the toes make a difference.

10. minihorse927

Nov 3, 2010
    Good to know about the 4th and 5th toes being almost interwebbed and still doing well showing. I have several chicks in the brooder that I decided to keep but almost sold off because of their 4 and 5th toe being so close together. In the end I only sold off two of the chicks I had and they only left because they had 4 toes on one foot and 5 on the other. The eggs they hatched from were the only two that hatched out from one batch I purchased online. Hopefully everything I kept comes along ok.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by