silkie-show quality?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by seminolewind, Feb 14, 2009.

1. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I have 5 silkies, and this one is drop dead gorgeous. I was just looking for a critique so I can understand breed standard better. I wonder how close she comes.

[​IMG]

2. FrChuckW

FrChuckW Father to all, Dad to none

Sep 7, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    Oh the Precious! [​IMG] Check with Bama Chickens, DipseyDoodleDoo or Tom with KentuckySilkies. There are a couple of others on here as well that raise good quality silkies. but I can't recall their screen names offhand. But she does look gorgeous to me. I got my first silkie today, a really good quality blue splash pullet, I'm calling her LizaJane.

3. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    I think her crest should be a fuller and her cushion should be a little bigger [​IMG] but im new to the show silkies as lilpeeps she has awsome birds !

4. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    She has nice coloring. Good type...would like to see a bigger crest and for her to hold her wings tighter. She has a nice cushion and foot feathering. Nice full beard. I wouldn't call her show quality, but definately breeder quality. You could get some very nice babies from her if bred to the right male. [​IMG]

Do you have pics of the other birds?

5. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    This pic was taken when she was 15 weeks. She's now 19 weeks, so I'm going to update her pics, and take pics of the others.
    I'm glad you all are critiquing her, it's a good learning experience. My other 4, I can see faults. This one is hard, it goes beyond what little I know, LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by