Silkie showgirls for showing? What to look for...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Shannon's Chix, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Shannon's Chix

Shannon's Chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    N.E. Florida
    I have 2 male silkie showgirls I am thinking about taking to the fair in the spring (mostly so we can get in free [​IMG]). What would I look for in my showgirls to know if they are good for show or not? I noticed on one the toes are very close together...I'm thinking that's not good? Any advice much appreciated!

2. adkchickmama

adkchickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2009
    Adirondacks
    SOrry I don't know much about Silkies but I ummm, did you say two males that are "Showgirls" do they go in drag??[​IMG][​IMG]

3. Shannon's Chix

Apr 30, 2009
    N.E. Florida
    [​IMG]
    Oh my, the do kinda look like drag queens![​IMG]

4. adkchickmama

adkchickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2009
    Adirondacks
    Sorry couldn't resist.. But post pics so we can see your Silkies and I'm sure someone more experienced will be able to tell you if your boys have what it takes to strut their stuff at the fair. Good luck.

5. Shannon's Chix

Apr 30, 2009
    N.E. Florida
    Right thanks...I have to wait till morning to post pics (stupid satellite internet) but you're right, I'm sure I'll get a better idea that way!

6. I beleive you would look for black skin , 5 toes , good seperation , nice topknot , no hard feathers , nice even color . I beleive you can show the Showgirl with bowtie or no bowtie.

You would pretty much look for the samethings that you would in the Silkie i beleive .

Fay

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    pretty much [​IMG]

Long, pouffy feathering, large crest are needed; also very typey. Think of Las Vegas Show Girls with the big fluffy fans and headresses. That is what was being created in a chicken [​IMG]

8. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    When I took my showgirl roo (shown as a pullet LOL) The judge which he is retired from judging looked at "her" and was like... "What kinda chicken is this? Are they breeding birds with cats now?" [​IMG] We had a good laugh and Cotton was still young. I don't know much about how their supposed to be, but heres my "pullet" LOL He's older now

[​IMG]

9. THough1956

THough1956 Chillin' With My Peeps

I did not think you could show them. I did not see them at any shows I attended this year.

10. Shannon's Chix

Apr 30, 2009
    N.E. Florida
    I was told by a local breeder you can but they are classified specifically as silkie showgirls...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by