Silkie/Silkie Mix?? Where is the tail of my Silkie??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Scubadeaux, Jun 12, 2010.

1. Scubadeaux

Scubadeaux Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    South Louisiana
    Hey guys, hatched my first batch ever, Silkies. Bought two batches, one from a breeder, and one set from a family farm that said they were from a 4-H project. These guys are about 4 weeks old.

The Silkies from the breeder are feathering out great, and these guys are too, just a little different...One has no tail?? Or a very small one??

Does this look like a Silkie, or mixed with something?? Where is the fluffy butt?? Has huge leg and foot feathers, is beautiful, but not sure what I am looking at...

[​IMG]

I didn't want to have a heavy load time on the page, so if anyone needs another shot let me know...

[​IMG]

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Hmm that does not look like a silkie at all:-( The heavy feathering and "black skin"??? could be a silkie mix? Does it have black skin from head to toe? How many toes?

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    The bird is a mix, or mislabeled. It does not have silkie feathering. Check skin colour and numbers of toes.

4. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

It looks like it has some silkie feathering, but the wing feathers and foot feathering definately aren't silkie. I'd say if it has no tail and by that coloring it looks like a silkie araucana cross. I can see the dark skin, the feathered legs, and I can easily imagine the silkie in it. So I'm sticking with my original thought upon seeing the photo silkie/rumpless araucana cross.

5. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    silkie/EE cross?

6. Scubadeaux

Apr 24, 2010
    South Louisiana
    Thank you all for your reply...that is what I was thinking..and actually hoping for...a surprise!! [​IMG]

I am bringing the guys in the yard tomorrow, will post a few more pics.

They are definitely mixed with something!!!!

[​IMG]

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Tail feathers sometimes come in slowly. A rumpless bird will actually be missing vertabrae.

8. Scubadeaux

Apr 24, 2010
    South Louisiana
    Thank you all for your replies!! It does have black skin and 5 toes, and somewhat of a bump on the tail. But much less than the others. And the leg and foot feathers are huge!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I love this little mixed guy, although it seems to have some balance problems, tips forward sometimes. Otherwise just a really interesting looking bird
    I graduated them to their new pin outside today.

Thank you for your input..looking forward to how this one grows up!! [​IMG]

9. BloominOrchid

BloominOrchid Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Worcester Township
    Cute lil thing! I cant wait to see how it grows!
    will you post updates? Id like to see the changes!
    [​IMG]

10. Scubadeaux

Apr 24, 2010
    South Louisiana
    I will probably re post as this one does grow, Just curious as to what this one is!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by