1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkie Size Difference??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ESofVA, Oct 2, 2012.

1. ESofVA

ESofVA Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Keller, VA
    I purchased 3 Silkie chicks and was given 2 other chicks that needed help.
    They were in a box that contained Silkies and mixed bantams.
    The 3 largest chicks (dark tan, lt tan, and white) in these pictures are Silkies. There is also a Silver Sebright. Then there is a chick that is pretty white with a bit of blue on its back. It is the same size as the Sebright. This chick looks like a Silkie but is soo much smaller and they are the same age and from the same breeder. It has a dislocated hock. They are all about 4 days old depending on what day they were shipped out.
    A Silkie, right???

[​IMG]

2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    there are 2 silkies in that pic and a sebright

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  3. ESofVA

May 4, 2012
    Keller, VA
    Oh... the tiny Silkie? has a dislocated hock that I now have in a splint as of yesterday.

4. ESofVA

May 4, 2012
    Keller, VA
    I bought 3 Silkies. In the picture there is a reg size one in front and one you can barely see in the back. The 3rd is not in the picture at all. The two that were given to me are the Sebright and the other tiny one that also looks like a Silkie. I brough 5 chicks home...3 reg Silkies, 1 tiny Silkie? and a Sebright.
    In the picture you can see how much smaller the tiny Silkie is than the reg bantam sized one. Also you can see that it is about the size of the Sebright chick. They are all the same age.

Oops, you can ALSO see a bit of the 3rd reg sized Silkie bantam in the lower right corner,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by