1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkie, sizzle frizzle?? Ideas?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by FowlPrincess, Feb 6, 2017.

1. FowlPrincess

FowlPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2014
    Sebastopol, CA
    I already posted this once, but I think I did it wrong.

I bought my first 4 silkies and just love them so far......but.....I have something strange going on.....one of them has a comb coming in that is clearly NOT a walnut shape! He/She has a poofed forehead, black skin, 5 toes and poofy feathers, but the wrong comb! Any ideas? I was thinking maybe he was a sizzle? His/her wing feathers coming in look thinner that the others and are pointing in several directions. What do ya'all think? The first pic is of my little blue silkie with the NORMAL comb and thicker wing feathers.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. rebrascora

rebrascora Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    I'm no expert but neither look like pure silkies to me.

3. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    I think you've got hatchery quality silkies. Not uncommon for them to show up with single combs because hatcheries don't breed to the standard and only care about quantity, not quality.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by