Silkie skin isnt black!?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by DrChickenKev, Mar 12, 2012.

1. DrChickenKev

DrChickenKev Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2011
    Hi

Just a quick poser - we have 5 Silkie chickens on the go (at the moment) - Mom n pops and three of their kids

They are all black skinned as expected, bar one - the black sheep, as it were, or the pale skinned chicklette...

Anyone else with Silkie chickens that have pale skin? Just interested, not worried... Perhaps they are worth 10 times normal silkies and I can make MILLIONS!!?!?!

...sorry...

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    photos?

What plumage colour are the others? Most silkies have bluish slate, not black skin. Blacks usually tend to have the darkest skin.

3. DrChickenKev

Oct 5, 2011
    Sorry, have a look at this thread as it shows their plumage and colours etc; if you need more pics I'll get some tomorrow:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/590461/story-of-our-silkie-chicks

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Well, either there was a spontanous mutation, or mama & papa are each carrying a hidden copy of not-fibromelonosis (aka not-black skin). Some really cute photos on your link [​IMG]

5. DrChickenKev

Oct 5, 2011

Thankyou

Well we're looking to keep Pops and the two white female chicks and offer mom and son off as a pair to a friend

Not sure whether I can get pics of their skin but one white feathered chick has a yellow-orange beak and pink skin and the other has a yellow-green beak with black skin

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by