Silkie sneezing, obvious distress, mewling like a kitten

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MandyFitch, Sep 4, 2014.

1. MandyFitch

MandyFitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2013
    The mewling started a few days ago. She's been off by herself as well. Tonight I she sneezing (or she did once or twice) and sounds like she's choking, wheezing/squeaking, and she keeps stretching out her neck like she's fighting for air / gaping . I've brought her in to the house (another chicken tried to attack her) but I have no idea what to do for her. Her crop is empty.

Anyone have ideas? I don't have much of a medical kit here, just some blu-kote and electrolytes.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Do you live in a tropical area? It could be a respiratory disease such as infectious bronchitis, mycoplasma (MG,) ILT, or coryza. Most of those are infectious, and can make carriers of your flock. Antibiotics can be given to help with symptoms, but most sick chickens won't drink the medication in water. Tylan50 injection can be given as a shot or given by mouth. Dosage for a silkie would be 1/4 ml daily for 3-5 days. Here is a good link to read about these diseases: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

3. MandyFitch

MandyFitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2013
    Thank you. I had to put her to sleep today as she was severely distressed but I will look at the link and see if I can get hold of the meds to be prepared for future issues.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by