1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkie squatting

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MrPaterax, Dec 24, 2013.

1. MrPaterax

MrPaterax Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2013
    My silkie has been squatting for around three months or so. She's about nine months old and isn't laying yet. Do any of you have had a late layer? Is there something I can do to make her lay faster?

2. Shan30

Shan30 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2012
    Vancouver island
    I've heard some mention of cayenne pepper and a few other things. I don't believe any of them work. I would say she just needs more time. It is possible that she won't ever lay but unlikely. Patience :)

3. MrPaterax

Dec 16, 2013
    Thanks

4. schnebbles

schnebbles Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    Indian Lake, Ohio
    I have a 9 month old d'uccle who just laid her first egg Sunday. Found it odd that she would start in the winter but I was tickled!

5. SilkiesForEver

SilkiesForEver Overrun With Chickens

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    I have two Welsummer pullets who are 10 months old, and haven't laid a single egg. They were at point of lay right when the cold hit, so I'm sure that's the issue. Just give her time, and maybe, like schnebbles's bird, she'll lay you an egg. [​IMG]

6. MrPaterax

Dec 16, 2013
    It's probably the cold, now to play the waiting game

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by