Silkie standards

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by joe17, May 12, 2010.

1. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    I would like for someone to explain the silkie standards. I have the standard of perfection and many other books about how they should look. I basically know the difference between SQ and PQ though. I just wanted someone to explain it in simpler terms. I know you have more experience and preferences than in the standard. Do you have any pics of show quality silkies and non show quality silkies so I can see the differences? Ohh and what do you like to see in a silkie as a breeder? I know every breeder is different but I like big crests and a curvy body. Thanks!!! And lastly, I am in 4-H so I am not a big breeder lol but I am getting 2 dozen of splash eggs from Bobbi Porto tomorrow and they will go in my brinsea. What does splash X splash = ???

2. Puresilk

Puresilk Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Yale
    splash x splash = splash

3. bacres

bacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    East Pennsylvania
    Except when splash is bred to splash it dilutes the color. Would suggest throwing in a black or blue to darken the color up.

4. SilkieTime

SilkieTime Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Joelton Tn.
    I got some babies from Bobbie and all of mine look GREAT. Let them all grow up till you know how many roosters you have. Then sale off your roosters till you only have one or two. She will tell you which eggs are from which roosters she has. So try to mark each one so you can breed with out breeding brothers and sisters.
    You picked a real good breeder. You also have a good incubator. You have been doing your homework.
    You're suppost to look for crocked beeks, 4 toes, split wings, red comb. I don't think you will have to worry about that.
    With splash you don't want them to be to light.
    Have fun and keep them safe.

5. joe17

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    Thanks!!! I am from louisiana and florida isnt that far so hopefully the eggs wont get too mixed up! You said something a bout a break in the wing? What does that look like? I have some hatchery silkies now but they are only 6 weeks. Actually, the crests are really big like the ones on her page. They have vaulted skulls and good feet. I see blue earlobes on them too. I will breed the ones that hatch from her to the ones I have now. I will go through the ones I have now though and keep the better ones. Hopefully a bunch hatch!!!!!!

6. brendapa

brendapa Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2010
    Chester County, PA
    Bobbi Porto eggs + Brinsea = [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. americana-chick

americana-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Sorry thi is kinda off topic.. but what if you where to cross a Splash to a white silkie? Would you get a lighter splash?

8. joe17

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    Thanks!!!!!! I sure hope so! Please pray for me and my eggs!

9. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
  10. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Quote:No. You cannot predict the results because white can cover up any other genes. The only thing you would know for sure is that the offspring will be carrying at least one copy of the blue gene.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by