Silkie stopped laying.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jferlisi, Dec 19, 2010.

1. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    So it has been raining for 3 days now so my chickens are not out free ranging the like to be in there run since its half covered. Well since it started raining my silkie stopped laying. She had been laying really well for a the last 3 weeks and she has only been in the run with the babies. The big girls and roo are who free range, she likes to stay with the babies in the run. Would the presents of the others make her stop laying. They all get along and she is at the top of the pecking order, which is funny since she is the smallest and the breeds we have, so i dont know why she would stop. Anyone have any thoughts on this.

2. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    If she has been laying regularly for a few weeks, I would bet she has laid her clutch of eggs and there is a good possibility that she might brood. If they are not laying they are brooding. For them, its almost a either or situation.

3. Jferlisi

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Quote:But she is not broody she doesn't even hangout in the coop.

4. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Maybe the daylight hours have finally gotten to her system and so she's taking a break. Or maybe she is getting ready to go broody, like the other poster said. It takes them a few days to work into it sometimes.

5. Jferlisi

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Ok thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by