Silkie suddenly laying on her side - not moving

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chinzilla, Sep 24, 2012.

1. chinzilla

chinzilla Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2012
    1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)

Silkie, age about 5.5 months, weighs the same as the other her age

2) What is the behavior, exactly.

Returned home from a jog and I let the children out when I noticed one was missing. I looked inside the run and found Lil, laying on her side. At first I thought she was just dust bathing, but when I looked closer I realized she did not look okay. I picked her up and saw she had popped on herself several times. When I put her back down, she fell down on her right side immediately. I grabbed her and went to the hose, rinsing off her poop so I could see her legs more clearly to see if she had been attacked. Once rinsed, I saw nothing outwardly wrong. I placed her back down and she stumbled, so I picked her up again and righted her and she did not fall although she was wobbly and did not move from there. I have separated her from the others. Upon getting in touch with a friend of mine (also a BYC-er) she advised me to go get some deworming medication just in case and post on BYC. I cleaned out the coop, sprayed it down with flock protector in case there were mites, put clean bedding in, and dewormed the major waterer just in case. Lil got the medication, some polyvisol with b12, and scrambled eggs for protein. She is currently standing but not moving any further. She has not fallen over since giving her the bath and separating her.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?

This started some time today. I played with her last night and she was fine - when I checked them in the evening she was fine and sleeping in the coop.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?

no

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.

no

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.

no idea :(

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.

She drank some of the water I put in her cage and ate the scrambled eggs

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.

Looks normal.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?

Lil got the medication, some polyvisol with b12, and scrambled eggs for protein. She is currently standing but not moving any further. She has not fallen over since giving her the bath and separating her.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?

I have treated the chickens so far on my own and they've survived. If I cannot fix her I will take her to the vet, but I would like to try on my own first.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

I have a picture of her, but not in the position she was laying in and she hasn't fallen over again so I haven't been able to snap a shot.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

Standard coop fits 5-6 chickens - the bedding is a light hay. They have a run with plenty of dirt for them to roll around in.

Help :(

2. CayugaLover

CayugaLover The Duck Whisperer

well, if you haven't quarantined her yet, you definitely should, even if it turnes out she's not sick. has she eaten anything since you fed her scrambled eggs? (that was a good idea, BTW, i would have definitely done the same) i don't really know what else you can do, let her rest away from the others. you made sure she was dry and warm after bathing her, right? i really hope your silkie gets better!!![​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  3. Mac14

Mac14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2012
    Northern California
    Sounds a little like my RIR, she would lay on her side kind of and she would shake her head a lot, just laid there looking miserable. She is completely fine now. Hope yours gets better. :)

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  4. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

She could be weak from coccidia, worms or it could be onset of Mareks....but normally they will continue to limp. I would seperate her and treat with Corid. If she is on the ground I would also use some safeguard on her. Watch her for any other symptoms....

5. chinzilla

chinzilla Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2012
    UPDATE:

I ran outside this morning fearing the worst - to my surprise, she was chirping pleasantly and standing upright in her confinement cage. I continued administering vitamins to her laced with additional B12 and E, and placed her back down. She went right for the food. She is standing and walking around, but not 100% on energy level. I am going to keep her confined and keep an eye on her to watch for any additional symptoms. I will not reintroduce her to the flock until she seems 100% recovered. I DID give her worming medication yesterday, so I wonder if that helped at all?? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by