Silkie survived "crooked neck" but now won't eat or drink? Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jorli, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Jorli

Jorli New Egg

Apr 13, 2012
    My 1.5 year old Silkie hen just survived wry or crooked neck, but now she will not eat or drink! She was egg bound, but I didn't know it at the time, so I took her to LSU Vet School when I saw how crooked her neck was. The egg was still high, but her second day at the Vet School, it somehow got broken inside her. Then she got terribly ill. I brought her home and began giving her Dr. Sanford's vitamin regime. LSU didn't know what to do for her except force feed and water her. After 3 days of the vitamins, she perked up. I continued to force feed and water her, because her neck was so crooked. Then her neck finally straightened. So now, why won't she eat? Today I put her down in the grass and she actually laid down on her side. She just laid there, it was so wierd to see her lying on her side. But she has been inside for two weeks being doctored and watched. I live in the city and have my chicken coop in the country. Was she just enjoying the sunshine? After about 10 minutes, picked her up and put her in my flower bed, then she began digging and enjoying herself. But when i brought her inside, she still wouldn't eat or drink. PS, last night I gave her the vitamins again and tried to force feed and water her. It was impossible. She's gotten to strong for me to hold her and feed her with the syringe. So I got some water down her nose! She hacked and sneezed for about 30 minutes. Scared me to death. I would appreciate some advice! Please!! I don't want to lose her, she is my pet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by