silkie swallowed earing!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Frost Homestead, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    Last night my 8 wk old silkie was sitting with me and she all of the sudden turns and yanks off my earing and swallows it! it was just a simple 14K gold ball style earing with a post.

the back fell on the bed and I had to pick it up because she was going for it fast! [​IMG]

soooo...she seems perfectly fine, but my question is...do you think I'm going to get it back? [​IMG] I put her in the brooder and put a towel in the bottom so I could see what she 'produces'. How long do ya'll think it's gonna take for her to pass it?

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Sorry... [​IMG] [​IMG]

What a fun couple days you are in for! I would think it would pass pretty fast.. Maybe a day or less.

3. riane'smimi

riane'smimi Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2010
    orange va
    I am alittle concerned over the stem .Let us know if she passes it .Hopefully it will pass through with no problem ,maybe give her some bread that may catch the stem and it won't cause a problem going through her gut.Not sure though ,it's just an idea.

4. Frost Homestead

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    thanks, I'll try that. I did feed her some tunafish sandwich right after it happened because I wanted to make sure she had some other stuff in her crop with it because of the stem. so far her droppings appear normal, no signs of blood or anything. We're keeping a close eye on her just in case

5. GAchick

GAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Pembroke GA
    It may not pass through the gizzard. I butchered a few months ago, and opened up a gizzard. It had a screw in there, don't know how long it had been in there....

6. wood&feathers

wood&feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    E. KY
    Maybe, maybe not. I found something fascinating a couple days ago. I kicked a chickie poo off the porch step and saw bone chips. I looked closer and it wasn't chips - it was an intact bottom jaw half of a mouse. Teeth and all - it keyed out as peromyscus of some kind. I assumeone of the girls ate a mouse skull left by our cat. The rodent teeth are pretty close to the size and shape of an earring post!

7. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Good chance it will stay in the gizzard with other grinding items and not pass.... I too have found all sorts of items in chicken gizzards and it will not likely harm her at all.

8. Frost Homestead

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    drat. well, I guess I'll give it a day or two and if I don't find anything I'll assume it's time to start searching for another pair of earrings... [​IMG]

9. bluecoat28

bluecoat28 New Egg

Jan 15, 2012
    Does anyone know what happens to grass that is in the gizzard? Will it eventually pass through after a very long time? Or will the grass EVENTUALLY disintegrate in the gizzard?

10. Frost Homestead

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    it just depends. sometimes if they eat too much dried grass or hay it can get clogged in their *crop* and cause an impacted crop. I don't think anything can get stuck in the gizzard since it has already been partially broken down by the time it gets in there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by