Silkie Temperament Question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Redhead Hen, May 14, 2009.

1. Redhead Hen

Redhead Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Rising Sun, Maryland
    I have a young Silkie (Rocky) and I was wondering about her temperament. I have read that they are suppose to be pretty friendly. Well, I have had her since Easter and I hold each chick daily. As well as offer treats and such. She just does not seem to be warming up to me. The other chicks I have will settle down and nap on my lap, but Rocky will just peep. And loudly I might add! She does not seem to want to be a lap chicken. She will follow me around if she is loose and the other chicks are not around. Of course the entire time she is peeping super loud. Should I just suck it up that she will not be as friendly as my other chicks? I understand that each chicken has their own personality and things. But I just thought that a silkie would be the most friendly.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated![​IMG]

2. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

I think you have unrealistic expectations for your chickens, as they aren't dogs, generally aren't meant to be 'lap' animals, and some just aren't "people" chickens. While Silkies are generally very personable, there are some that just dont like being handled much. You can attempt to push through and continue to handle her and perhaps it will work itself as she ages, but there aren't any guarantees.

3. Farm Frenzy

Farm Frenzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    I agree, I have a few that will run right up to me when I walk in their coop, and others that run away. Just like everything else, they have their own personalities, but they are so darn cute, we look over the imperfections. [​IMG]

4. bigcats

bigcats Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2009
    I'm new to chickens and have only had any experience with my own two.

My Silkie is so far pretty calm and sedate and will settle in my lap if I put her there, but I'd consider my Sexlink a little more "friendly". The Sexlink is also more active and bold.

They're individuals. That's ok with me. [​IMG]

5. Redhead Hen

Apr 14, 2009
    Rising Sun, Maryland
    Thanks for all your replies! I just want my chicks to be a little friendly and not totally freak out if I need to handle them as adults for some reason. I don't expect all of them to be like dogs or some other kind of lap pet. I also have children, so I don't want to raise completely unfriendly chickens.

Thanks again!

6. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

If all else fails... give the Silkie a bath. LOL I always find that they seem a little more "handle-able" after that... LOL

7. Redhead Hen

Apr 14, 2009
    Rising Sun, Maryland
    Quote:LOL! OMG, I can't even imagine the ruckus she'd make during that! LOL!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by