Silkie Temperament

silkiechick05

Songster
10 Years
Sep 27, 2009
North Texas
I heard that they are supposed to be docile, friendly, and lovable

HOWEVER

I have some two month olds and they hate me!

Will they ever love me and become my friend??

lol

Maybe you could bribe them with something yummy!
smile.png

They are still young... mine went through a stage like a teenager... wanted nothing to do with me. As they get older, they get more and more loving. You have to spend time with them just like any other pet. Mine even come when I call them... I just love to see them come running.

D

Some want to be held and cuddled and be lap chickens from the very beginning, some never want that, and others decide they love you once they are grown. Kind of like cats.

I have three that are about 7 months or so, one is friendly and I can pick him up and maaaybe pet him here and there, one tolerates being picked up if I catch her but that's it and the other one wants nothing to do with me, he screams and runs away if I get too close.

Have had them for over 3 months and have always been super gentle with them
idunno.gif

I also have a pair of 10-week old silkie chicks who hate being picked up and peepeepeeepp if I get too close, have had them for 2 weeks now and make sure to pet them every day and pick them up for 30 seconds or so. Maybe someday they will learn to trust the Food Woman
hmm.png

I am sure to handle them everyday

Sometimes i sit in the yard with them

Sometimes they lay on the couch with me

Mine also peep and cheep whenever i get too close and then dive under each other like i am a hawk or something. Hopefully over time, they will get used to me

41973_dsc00354.jpg

The one in the middle (Clyde) hulls butt whenever i try to catch him outside and doesn't like to be handled at all

The one on the right (Leon) is probably the most personable of them... he lets me scratch his neck sometimes...

oh and today, he had poo all over him, so he got his feet wet in the bathtub, and when i went to blow dry him, he laid down and stretched his wing out... it was so cute!

and lastly, the one on the left, pepper, shares both Clyde and Leon's personality

I really hope things work out between us

lol

Awwwww!

FWIW, I have a cockerel who today kept chasing after me for attention. Never has before. He's a mature young man, but today just seemed to want to be loved upon
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom