Silkie, thin, thrown up brown liquid, cant perch right

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by thornwing, Dec 15, 2010.

1. thornwing

thornwing Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    So. California
    I have had Sikers, Silkers, my Silkie, for only about a year now, she turned 1 year this Oct.....
    She has always had a problem perching because her wings are furry, right? Even with help of a latter, I have to put her to the highest perch at night manually.

Well, tonight. I went down to the coop to close the doggy door from the coop to the run and was surprised to see Silkers sitting on a perch in the run, outside, at night, even though the door to the coop was open! I shown the lantern down and she seemed to perk up like "oh, what am i doing here." Then I reached for her and just nearly grabbed her (wasnt even picking her up or putting any pressure on her tummy), and she started to -not casually like water spit ups but not extremely violently- throw up a light tan/brown liquid. Alot of it.

Also, she has always been thin. I'm not sure if its the breed, since shes my first silkie and i dont know much, but her keel is pretty distinct. She eats very well, is crazy about food and grass, VERy energetic, runs from door to door to make sure i give her food, drinks etc... a bird you would see and say "wow, what a happy, healthy bird"

After she threw up and shook the crud from her beak, the lanterns light made her trot off to the coop doggy door now, but I grabbed her and ran inside to tell my dad who is an equine vet. He said she was probably fine, but then again he says that about everything that usually ends up dying.

Im very scared, I cant even sleep. I love Silkie so much and if I lose her Ill be so heartbroken I wont know what to do! I have such a close relationship with her since my family isnt the closest thing Ive got, and the pressure of getting into college and slowly doing worse and worse in classes has gotten me depressed. And I keep having a vision of letting the chickens out in the morning and seeing my poor Silkie on the floor dead.....PLease, help!

2. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Chickens can't "throw up" by definition, so you are right to be scared to some extent.

Is the liquid foul smelling? Is her breath? If so, she has sour crop and it is serious.

3. thornwing

Jul 10, 2009
    So. California
    Well I know they cant swallow like we can, so they sometimes spit up kind of

I didnt smell it, it was on the cold, earth floor and I wanted to show my dad asap...

Idk about sour crop, but I noticed her crop was round a cushy

4. ChickenWisperer

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Spit up, yes, but it's not normal in horrific amounts.

Get up close, open her mouth and smell her breath. Is it sour?

Feel of her crop. Does is feel like a water balloon?

5. thornwing

Jul 10, 2009
    So. California
    well this morning she wasnt energetic and not making a fuss like normal, she kept opening her mouth as if about to spit up again

but i got home from school and she was back to herself, and she wasnt acting like she was gonna spit up...but still, im concerned about why her keel is so pertruding.....is that just the silkie breed? because its been like that since day one it seems...
    Also, her bloated, cushy crop as i said, went down to normal size and felt normal again, but she also still cannot perch right....either shes lazy, doesnt want to stres her little fuzz wings, or something else

6. SimplySplendidSilkies

SimplySplendidSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    Adairsville, GA
    If you believe her to be under weight go to Pet Smart and pick up some Lefaber's diet. It will be with the bird supplies and should be around 10 bucks for tub of it. I mixed it with crumble after my Edward was feeling better. As for the sour crop search my previous post I listed exactly what my vet did when my Edward got sick. Make sure she knows where the food is in the coop/run. Have you seen her at the feeder?
    Sorry you silkies is not feeling well.
    Good luck

7. ChickenWisperer

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Quote:I don't mean to scare you, but you REALLY need to smell her breath. If she does have sour crop, it will kill her if you don't treat it. Do this by forcing the soured liquid out, and feeding her only activia yogurt for a time. You'll have to ask your vet for medicine.

I agree with the previous post.

8. SimplySplendidSilkies

Apr 11, 2010
    Adairsville, GA
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=420979
    The
    link to my previous post on sour crop! It will kill your chicken! My Edward's did not get to the point of smelling yucky but it was squishy and had air pockets in it. I could feel them. I had him med. within 2 hours of taking out of the shipping box and it still took a week to get him better then he relapsed. I spent almost 200 saving him. And you know what I would do it again and again! He is my baby, and I love him so very much.
    Check the crop and treat accordingly, get the Lefaber's and start her on that, (not the other birds it can be hard to get them off of it) and sit in the coop to make sure every bird knows where the food and water are located.
    Maybe your Dad can get the meds. for you, just check my thread for meds and dosing.
    Good Luck!

9. thornwing

Jul 10, 2009
    So. California
    Yea, my dad probably could get them. I will check her breath in the morning as it is night at the moment, and get the Leafburs? that stuff haha But the probablem also is i have no vet around my area. I live in the LA area, so, not many chicken vets here haha

10. SimplySplendidSilkies

Apr 11, 2010
    Adairsville, GA
    I can not advise on treatment without the proper meds. I lost a guinea to sour crop and when Edward showed signs I ran to the vet I was prepared to drive 2 hours for an avian vet but did find one within a 45 min drive. I think the meds are pretty common for any vet. You will need to know her weight for proper dosing. My Edward was only 1.6 lbs and that is the dosing listed on my thread.
    Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by