Silkie thoughts on caging... Keeping on wire?? Pics

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by BooneHillbilly, Oct 24, 2010.

1. BooneHillbilly

BooneHillbilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2009
    West Virginia
    I am wanting to start a silkie breeding bropram here at my homestead and have a few questions for the experts here. I was going to bild small individal coops for each color, beard etc etc but then saw the picture below and was thinking thats a great idea. So here are my plans, let me know what you think.
    Enclosed coop would be 4x8x3', then they woudl have a 4x8x3' section that is all screned inso they can get outside in the sun etc etc. The coop parts will have a solid floor but the outside part would be all wire. Would they be ok on the wire part and what size wire would you recommend? Thanks in advance!!!
    -Matt

[​IMG]

2. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    just be careful with the wire floor. I have a run simliar. I had 2 chickens lose toes one night, not sure to what (mine is 3' off the ground) so make sure they have something to rest on that protects their feet (I use a piece of cardboard) or make sure they go in the coop at night.

3. BooneHillbilly

Aug 29, 2009
    West Virginia
    Do you know what your wire size is and happen to have some pics? Thanks!

4. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    Quote:I don't have any pictures but it is 1x1 wire. I saw recently someone using a coated wire for their cochins to help keep the feathering nicer. mine seemed fine and I had silkies on it.

5. SilkieTime

SilkieTime Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Joelton Tn.
    Mine is 1/4 X 1/4 wire with shaving on top in a barn stall.

6. minister man

minister man Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    New Brunswick
    what size of breeding group are you planing to house in this unit? pairs? trios? Small groups?

7. BooneHillbilly

Aug 29, 2009
    West Virginia
    It would be small breeding groups, probably 2 cocks to 10 hens, may chance it up once its bulilt..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by